Friday, June 4, 2010

6/4 My Left Foot!

Do you think there's a copyright on that title?  Probably but I'll take my chances.  My left foot is better than when I woke up this morning.  It seemed appropriate not to go on the Fuller brewery tour with John when I could hardly walk!  After several hours, it seemed to be better - maybe it's gout what with all that fish and chips last night!

Anyway, it felt well enough to walk down to the tube station where there is a beauty shop that does haircuts. (Vanity, vanity, thou name art woman!) Mind you, I had my hair cut 8 weeks ago and even though I had it cut extra short before I left, I am beginning to look a bit shaggy.  Even John noticed.  (I have asked him to let his grow longer, by the way.)  When I got there and talked to someone, they had never heard of a razor cut and referred me to the shop across the mall.  The only person there who did that was leaving for lunch and I was asked to return in about a half hour.  I saw her later in the mall and her hair looked so bad that there was no way she was going to work on mine!  So I lost my courage and decided to - now - hobble home.  It was a longer walk than I should have taken.

On the way back, I noticed an oval shaped metal restroom on the sidewalk that before I had just walked around and ignored.  Feeling the urge and having about a .8 mile walk ahead I decided to see how this little place operated.  It's about 8' long and 6' wide and maybe 9' high.  It's a stainless steel color and it is metal but I won't say it's stainless.  Would make sense though.  On the outside, there is a large orange button that you push for the door to open.  When you go inside, a very mechanical and very loud voice says "The toilet is on your right opposite the door.  The sink is next to the toilet.  When you are finished, you may wash your hands in the sink (or something to that effect).  For your personal safety, the door will automatically open after twenty minutes!  The toilet will flush and be cleaned after you leave."  When you get out, you push the green button, the door slides closed and no one will ever see that toilet being flushed and cleaned inside!!  So who knows? 

As I proceeded on my way, an attractive woman came up to me and asked me if I knew the way to Charring Cross Hospital.  Oh, I was so excited!  I said to her "I'm an American here and I can give someone directions!!"  The hospital was on the main road about 3 blocks up.  We got to talking about haircuts, etc. and while walking, we passed a salon I never noticed.  This lady said why not try there, so I did!  The shop was clean and well outfitted, not like the others and the dresser there said he knew what to do to cut my hair.  Well, you are a little gun shy, you know, when it's your pride and joy!!   So I have an appointment at 2:00 tomorrow; wish me luck.

Spent the rest of the afternoon with my foot up and finishing yesterday's blog.  John went up to the Turkish restaurant we enjoyed last week for some carry-out and we ate a very late dinner.  Lovely uneventful day.  We all need those, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment