Thursday, May 6, 2010

5/6 The Red House - William Morris' home

This is going to be short!  We are leaving around 6 AM tomorrow morning to go to Ludlow for the Beer, Bangers (that's sausage to us) and Bread festival for three days and then on to Leighton Buzzard (how's that for a name?) for a week of canal boating with our friends, Ginger and Bill, who are meeting us there.  We are also going to explore Iron Bridge while we are in Ludlow.  You'll have to look up the significance of that one!  We have no idea if we will have any computer connections at all for the next 10 days.  So if you don't hear from us, don't get alarmed.  We'll be in touch when we can.

Today I checked another item off my bucket list.  I had been wanting to go to The Red House for sometime.
William Morris was the man who started the Arts and Crafts movement in the early 1860's.  Red House was the only house he ever built for his home.  He lived in many others but this was part of his dream to live as a community with other artist friends.  The dream did not come true and he moved out after five years but the legacy of the house lives on and is now owned by the National Trust.  I took the tube to London Victoria station and then the train to Bexleyheath and took a walk through town to the house.  The house is so important architecturally and in the design world that there are signs pointing walkers from the train station to the house about a mile away.  I took a few pictures but they haven't been loaded into my computer yet so I will pass you on to the National Trust website:  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-redhouse/  as a reference site.

It was a delightful day that I spent by myself, one I knew John would not enjoy.  He went on his own search of  old, old pubs along the Thames by following a guidebook on that topic.  He was happy, I was happy and now we have to pack our bags for a 10 day trip away from "home". 

No comments:

Post a Comment